|My inner beast came out this week. And not like the animated Disney classic but more along the lines of holy moly I even managed to frighten my boyfriend…or so he says. But in actuality we have been dating for over four years and he has fully experienced my crazy side, Lucky guy ;)! It was one of those weeks I tell ya..you think you have a handle on everything and then BAM you are impersonating a crazed axe murderer. For those of you that haven’t stopped reading because ya know I am not really an axe murderer let me explain.
The week started off great with some solid Kitt family time on Sunday and beginning my Monday morning under the assumption this week would be on the lite-ish side. Things quickly changed. I was scheduled back to back to back and running all around the city like a mad woman! In all honesty I enjoy being busy. Being busy is a good thing for many obvious reasons, but I am also a planner. A SERIOUS PLANNER HA! Planning helps me stay organized and on schedule with work that I have to do outside of training such the emailing, phone calls, programming, etc. that needs to be done on a weekly basis. I also enjoy being busy because it keeps all the miscellaneous tasks of the week left to be done during the gaps in my schedule which of course I plan for.
To do the math …
planner + new random tasks that do not fit into the already designated/busy schedule = BEAST MODE
Everything transpired on Wednesday evening. I had survived all that hump day throws at you until one thing set me loose. All of a sudden it was all “I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow your house down mode.” If I were an animated cartoon there would have been fire coming from my ears! The hands were flailing while my legs were going a mile a minute as I felt like I was about to regress to my 5 year old self with a full on rolling around tantrum… Instead I only regressed till about age 16 and screamed into my pillow. Mind you the BF was home. He took this like any normal man would and poured me an extra dirty, EXTRA vodka tini on the rocks and started an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.
I promise I am only usually this crazy ALL the time. Just kidding. We of course have all gone a little off our rockers because of one thing or another at some point. Usually I deal with life’s new twists with a super hard workout or run but being that it was 8pm at night and 10 degrees outside I decided to go with the drink. The drink was a last resort at a time that felt a bit like the end of the world (going with my 16year old self again), so by no means think this is how I solve all my problems/stressful times. I am just thankful that I have someone I can do that in front of and know we will be laughing about it the next day! In case you are feeling as bold as me, I’d love to hear a time you went a little off your rocker and then had a good chuckle about it after the fact?
Aside from the mid week explosion here are my workouts:
Monday: Upper body push
Tuesday: Legs (this workouts was slightly limited because my adductors were so tight for some reason)
Wednesday: Upper body pull & run
Thursday: Squat workout
Friday: The “Murph” for time – This was a killer and I completed it in 54:31:11 with proof 🙂
1 mile run
100 pull ups (with a band)
200 push ups
300 squat jumps
1 mile run
Finish with Abs
Saturday: outside run
Now it is off to Lee, Massachusetts with the Kitt’s. Happy Freaking Weekend!
I freaking love hotels. Even more specific, fancy hotels. For as long as I can remember I have always loved staying at hotels which I think started way back when I was a wee little tike and would stay somewhere new with my family. I can always remember after we would drop off our packs in the room my dad would take me to explore the rest of the hotel features. Basically we would check out any and every area we were allowed (and maybe a few we weren’t) to visit and determine it’s “coolness” factor, from the pool to the late night vending machines.
Basically not much has changed. The second we entered Hotel IndigoNashville I knew it deserved a solid viewing. The reception area is a mix between a swanky brunch/coffee shop you could spend your entire afternoon in during the day and a cocktail lounge at night with great live music. The staff was extremely inviting and helpful. During one morning we needed breakfast sandwiches STAT and they were able to make 10 to-go in about 15 minutes…which basically saved everyone from a quick pass out that day because it was to be a long day of beverages and site seeing/bar hoping. But back to the hotel. Besides being enamored with the entrance the rooms weren’t so bad either. HA. They were very clean and easily held four girls in each room or 8 at a time because lets be honest when were we not all together?! If we pee together on a regular basis you know we were all getting ready in the same room. We still be girls yo. The massive bathrooms helped during those times and the walk-in shower (that is as big as my current entire bathroom) was a major plus on the fancy scale. The ONLY complaint I have about the rooms was that they did not have a full-length mirror. I do know however that my boyfriend’s did because obviously I had to check his room out as well. So I guess it is just a room specific complaint and since that’s it I will definitely stay there again!
As for the fitness facility…it was by far the best fitness center at a hotel that I have used in a long time. It was equipped with treadmill’s, elliptical’s, stationary bike’s, tv’s, cable system, dumbbells, stability balls, and yoga blocks. They certainlydid their research when they were stocking this place up and I thank them for that. It made working out on the go a lot more comfortable since most hotels barely have a fitness center with a treadmill or windows. I completed a treadmill workout (while the rest of my party slept) of 4 miles that looked a little like this:
5 min warm up
5 min sprint
5 min hill work
5 min sprints
5 min hill work
5 min sprints
5 min hill
5 min cool down
After my workout I checked out the rest of the floor which consisted of standard conference/ball rooms. Who thought you could fit this much in one building in the middle of the downtown area of a city?
If you want a fun, low-key, as romantic as you want to make it evening then I would suggest their cocktail lounge; also known as “The District Bar & Kitchen.” I could have spent my weekend soley inside the hotel with all this place had to offer. The food and live music were phenomenal. It would make a great place for a staycation. Ask for Nick..he got the pleasure of taking care of us animals for most of the weekend and he was a trooper.
If you weren’t convinced from my previous post on Nashville I hope I just pushed ya over the edge. And if your still unsure don’t hesitate to ask away.
It is wicked cold here/everywhere. Many times when I complain about the cold people tell me that I should be used to it because I am from Maine. Yes they are correct I am used to it but I don’t like it and never have. I actually would rather be sweltering then have a chill. And once my piggy toes get cold there is nothing that can warm me up. With that said I am over this cold weather just like everyone else out there but I am not going to let it stop my day or my workout!
Here are some pictures from the past week/weekend and my workouts of the week
Monday: Treadmill workout
Tuesday: Push Day – squats & Press & Stairmaster HIIT
Wednesday: 4 miles on the treadmill & TRX Ab session
Thursday: Pull Day – Dead lift & Back
20 KB Swings
10 Reverse Lunge to Press
10 Chin up to push up
Saturday: 5 miles & Yoga class with the BF 😉
FYI: It was Ash Wednesday this week. Did you get your ashes? What are you sacrificing or giving up for Lent? I am giving up negative self talk & thought. More on that next week! If your not catholic or religious I challenge you to give up or sacrifice something for the next 40 days and see what impact it has.
HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE
Almost two weeks ago.. YIKES, where does the time go? I got to celebrate one of my best friends/sisters 30th Birthday! This girl is AH-MAZING! She deserves nothing but the best and it was such a good feeling having all of her closest BFF’s to celebrate her all weekend long! And oh Boy does she have some awesome/party hardy friends!
Reasons why this Birthday Party Rocked:
- It was in Nashville, TN: GO. SERIOUSLY GO THERE NOW! If you have any interest in live music or BBQ food this is your place! This happened to have been my second time there and I can’t wait to go back.
- All her animal friends are awesome! They know how to throw a PAR-TAY!
- We drank and ate our faces off. I ain’t 21 no more but I sure pretended like I was and boy did it feel great (until I woke up in the morning).
- It was a Girls Weekend! (side note: my boyfriend is her brother. AKA I acted like he wasn’t there but was still able to get my morning and goodnight kisses. Best of both worlds.)
- The Music…LIVE MUSIC EVERYWHERE! But just to name a few; Rippy’s, Tootsies, Bourbon Street Blues, lonnies, Honky Tonk, Margaritaville, and everywhere else on Broadway.
- Rangers v. Predators Game: This was my first professional hockey game. I am looking forward to a game at MSG but this did not disappoint.
- Pedal Tavern: I am still not exactly sure how this is legal but I sure am happy it is. Basically you sit on a massive bike with the rest of your friends and drink and pedal your way around downtown. During this time you are able to stop at different bars where most of them have drink specials! Make sure you have some people who are willing to pedal because there are times when you gotta put some back into it. Honestly this is a great thing to do if you are celebrating something or someone or just want a good excuse to drink in public legally. If you go ask for Krista Angelucci….she was our tour guide and if you are lucky she will sing for you guys too. Check out her music on Itunes and Spotify.
- Hotel indigo: Since this was a BIG BIRTHDAY AKA 30th it had to be extra special. Which meant that staying at your average holiday inn was just not going to cut it. We stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Downtown Nashville near Printers Ally. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a convenient place to stay without a car. More to come about the hotel and the hotel fitness facility in the next post J
- The food: When we landed we had a delish BBQ/Mexican inspired lunch at Taco Mamacita in Edge Hill Village. Since we were coming from negative degree weather we thought it would be a good idea to eat outside. Needless to say most of us were warm for about ten minutes but the kind waiters turned on the outside heaters, which kept us “warmer” until we finished our meals. Think fresh margs and southern inspired tacos. Good luck trying to eat more than two!!!! On Sunday we had brunch at The Southern. At first there was an issue with our reservation. But we waived our magic wands and suddenly we were seated immediately….Do NOT mess with 10+ hung over/tired people who are dehydrated and HANGRY! Great food! Highly recommend Atmosphere!
- THE BIRTHDAY GIRL DUH: She had the freakin time of her life and so did the rest of us! Thanks for being born Christine!
And there you have it! A teaser of all things awesome in Nash.
Ya’ll better be booking your next trip to Nashville as we speak! You can thank me later.
If you came here to read about something fitness related and could care less about Nashville (not sure that is possible) Here is a quick 20 minute workout you can do on the go in any hotel room:
- Squat jumps
- Mt. Climbers
- Push ups
- Floor Jacks
- Tricep Dips
- Star Abs
* Each exercise wil be performed for 45 seconds with a 10 second transition/rest period in between. Rest for 1 minute after completing all six exercises and repeat 3-4 times.
And in case you really are interested in Nashville. Below are links to some of the above mentioned.
Downtown/ Bars/ Things to do:
WHAT A GAME!
How is everyone feeling today? I think it is safe to assume that if you are a football fan and represent either the Patriots/ WINNERS or the Seahawks/LOSERS then you are feeling a little sluggish today. Even if those aren’t you teams but you are a sports fan of any kind you are probably moving a bit slower than usual this morning! It may have had something to do with the delish appys you devoured, the multiple cocktails/beers you consumed, or the lack of sleep!
So your alarm is going off at its usual time and you are getting ready to hit the snooze button (repeat until last possible moment) and skip your morning gym session. Next you are probably going to pop an aspirin, or four, the second you hit the shower and grab that venti coffee today with a BEC (bacon, egg, and cheese on a roll) during your commute. Self-Admitted – been there done that! We have all been there at one point or another and we have all struggled with keeping our day as routine as possible; aka still getting that sweat sesh in or for some trying not to vom on the subway. No matter how hard it may be to get yourself to the gym that day. DO IT! I promise that it will make you feel better. But just because I don’t want you to vom in front of the really hot guy lifting weights make sure you follow a few tips!
- Drink H2O – side note: I hate water when I am hung over so I add lemons to it or drink seltzer to calm my belly. You also want to hydrate yourself for the gym!
- Eat Carbs! – Do not be a crazy girl and not eat the next day after drinking because you consumed too many calories and then try to work out. It will back fire and that hot guy won’t be checking you out anymore when you wear your booty shorts. Do choose healthy carbs such as oatmeal, fruits, brown rice, quinoa, etc. Try to have a small carby snack an hourish before your workout.
- A little caffeine goes a long way. Have a cup of coffee but remember you are already dehydrated so keep it to a minimum.
- Don’t forget your daily multivitamin! If you don’t take one it is time to start.
- Eat Eggs for breakfest. They contain cysteine; a substance that helps break down the toxins you consumed last night. So if you must go for that BEC an extra egg can’t hurt!
- Get a sweat in but do not make the session a hard one. It is more important that you stick to your routine and sweat it out then to try and push your limits. Save the killer workout for when you have gotten a good night sleep!
- Make sure to pick out your favorite workout outfit. Knowing you look better at the gym will make you feel better. It’s science duh. Confession…I wear my cutest gym clothes when I workout with my boyfriend.
So now you have no excuses not to make it to the gym when you are hung over! You can thank me later 😉
In case you missed the preview last night for the new Terminator movie you can check it out here: